Champions League draw – Everything you need to know as clubs find out who’ll they face in the group stages
Jurgen Klopp’s side will be looking to challenge for the Champions League title this season after losing to Real Madrid in the final due to costly mistakes from Alisson Becker’s predecessor Loris Karius.
Sportsmail provide you with everything you need to know for Champions League group stage draw including date, time and channel plus how the draw works and which teams have qualified so far.
Champions League group stage draw will take place at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco
When is it?
The Champions League group stage draw will take place on Thursday 30th August from Grimaldi Forum in Monaco.
What time is the Champions League draw?
The group stage draw will be held at 5pm (BST).
How can I watch?
You can stream live on the UEFA website or watch on BT Sport 2 (4:30pm to 6:45pm BST).
How does the Champions League draw work?
The 32 clubs will participate in the group stages of the Champions League with 26 automatically qualifying for this stage and the other 6 determined from the play-off round.
The teams will be drawn into eight groups consisting of 4 teams each but for the purpose of the draw they’ll be divided into four pots of eight.
How are pots determined?
- Pot 1 – will consist of UEFA Champions League and Europa League winners pus the title winners of the top six leagues
- Pot 2,3, 4 – the remaining 24 teams are seeded based on their UEFA coefficient.
No team can play a club from the same country in the group stages.
Which teams have qualified so far?
- Real Madrid (holders) (ESP)
- Atlético Madrid (UEFA Europa League winners) (ESP)
- Barcelona (ESP)
- Bayern Munich (GER)
- Manchester City (ENG)
- Juventus (ITA)
- Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)
- Lokomotiv Moscow (RUS)
- Borussia Dortmund (GER)
- Porto (POR)
- Manchester United (ENG)
- Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
- Napoli (ITA)
- Tottenham Hotspur (ENG)
- Roma (ITA)
Pot 2 or Pot 3
- Liverpool (ENG) – Benfica win against PAOK means Liverpool are in pot 3. If Benfica lose to PAOK it means Liverpool are in pot 2. Benficia had a higher coefficent ranking at the end of 2017/18 season.
- Schalke (GER)
- Lyon (FRA)
- Monaco (FRA)
- CSKA Moscow (RUS)
- Valencia (ESP)
- Vikoria Pizen (CZE)
- Ajax (NED)
- Club Brugge (BEL)
- Galatasaray (TUR)
- Internazionale Milano (ITA)
- Hoffenheim (GER)
- Young Boys (SUI)
- AEK Athens (GRE)
Whats happening with the play-off round spots?
29 August – 8pm KO (BST)
- Red Bull vs Red Star Belgrade (0-0 agg)
- PAOK vs Benfica (1-1 agg)
- PSV Eindhoven vs BATE (3-2 agg)
When does the Champions League group stage start?
Group stages of Champions League tournament kick off on 18 September and the last of matches will conclude on 12 December.
- 18-19 September: Group stage, matchday one
- 2-3 October: Group stage, matchday two
- 23-24 October: Group stage, matchday three
- 6-7 November: Group stage, matchday four
- 27-28 November: Group stage, matchday five
- 11-12 December: Group stage, matchday six
The top two teams from each of the 12 groups will progress to knockout rounds in February 2019.